- Race Discrimination and Harassment
- Hostile work environment
- Sexual Harassment
- Religious Discrimination
- Covenants Not to Compete
- Employment Torts
- Negligent Hiring, Supervision and Retention
- Florida Civil Rights Act
- Disability Discrimination
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Family Medical Leave
- Wage Hour
- Constructive Discharge
- Failure to Promote
- Workers’ Compensation Retaliation
- Whistle Blower Claims
- Business Mergers/Restructuring
- Job Eliminations/Reductions in Workforce
GEL litigates employment claims before all federal and state trial and appellate courts and administrative agencies. We have earned a reputation for being experienced, knowledgeable, tough, aggressive and fair in the representation of our clients with an outstanding record of success.
In Florida, most cases in federal and state courts are sent to mediation. We know the experienced mediators to use and we are experienced in devising innovative and creative means of resolving claims.
Practice before the FCHR and DOAH: WE also handle many cases before the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) as well as appeals to the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings (DOAH).
FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE
For many years, Gregg Gerlach has presented FMLA Master Classes around Florida to attorneys and HR professionals.
In addition, we help businesses evaluate and process leave requests and defend FMLA investigations brought by the DOL (Department of Labor) as well as FMLA lawsuits filed in state and federal courts.
HUMAN RESOURCE AUDITS
- Pay Practices and Compensation
- Employee Benefit Programs
- Complaint procedures
- Arbitration Policies and Procedures
- Employee Handbooks
- Personnel Policy Manuals
- The Hiring Process
- Termination and Appeals
- Unemployment Compensation
- Workers’ Compensation
- Incentives and Fringe Benefits
- Wage and Hour Requirements
- Record Keeping
- Vulnerability to Union Organizing
- Employee Morale
- Communication Systems
We also defend employers against claims of willful violations and of discriminatory treatment under OSHA. Unions attempting to organize often use safety issues as an organizing weapon. Our experience with safety issues allows us to anticipate and resolve these issues before they affect employee morale and attract employees to unionization.
We seek new ways to provide improved services, advice and counselling to our clients in the areas of safety and health, including partnering with experienced safety consultants.
Our preventive safety programs has assisted employers in avoiding property reporting injuries.
GOVERNMENT CONTRACTOR EMPLOYMENT ISSUES
Collective Bargaining, NLRB Trials and Union Organizing
Gerlach Employment Law negotiates collective bargaining agreements on behalf of employees. Whether its a first time contract or a renewal of an agreement after a relationship with a union for many years, we can guide you through this process which provides maximum management flexibility.
Preparation of Confidentiality and Non-Compete Agreements and Litigation
OVERTIME PAY (WAGE & HOUR)
We assist employers with implementing policies that cover :
• creating, revising, and auditing wage and overtime policies;
• the proper classification of exempt, nonexempt and independent contract workers;
• structuring commissions, bonuses, incentive payments and other compensation programs; and,
• reviewing overtime pay calculations.
We have successfully represented both employees and employers where groups of employees have made claims for unpaid overtime and loss of overtime exemption and therefor know the landscape from all perspectives.
In recent years, Florida has seen a tremendous increase in collective actions brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Our experience includes time clock violations, unpaid overtime, record keeping violations, compliance with various exemptions under the FLSA, preliminary and post-liminary work issues, and time clock procedures.
SUPERVISORY / MANAGEMENT TRAINING
The best way to win an employment law suit is not to be involved in one. That is why we stress preventive action including management training and sound personnel policies. We have conducted training programs in the following areas:
- “Managing Within the Law” a training program designed to educate managers and supervisors on Florida and Federal employment laws.
- Union Avoidance: How to Stay Union-Free
- What Supervisors Can and Cannot Say and Do Concerning Unions.
- Family Medical Leave Act – How Does It Involve You as a Supervisor
- The Americans With Disabilities Act
- Sexual Harassment
- Recent Techniques and Trends in Union Organizing Activity in Florida
- Conducting Investigations in the Workplace
- How to Conduct Performance Appraisals
- The Importance of Documentation and Progressive Discipline
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Policies and Agreements
- The Bermuda Triangle: Dealing with Medical Problems under Florida’s Workers’ Compensation Law, the ADA and FMLA
- Positive Personnel Practices to avoid Labor Unions
- How to conduct an Audit of Human Resources
- Wage Hour Exemptions and Compliance
- Motivating Employees
- Positive Discipline
- Effective Communication
- Conflict Management
- Diversity Awareness
- Team Building
- Goals & Goal Setting
- Business Ethics
- Work Place Violence
- Facilitation Skills
- Managing Performance
- Basic Safety
- Conducting Effective Meetings
- Coaching For Exceptional Performance
- Conflict Management
- Training Employees
- Managing Change
- Decision Making
- Handling Complaints
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Managing Stress
- Government Regulations and The Supervisor I & II
- Interviewing /Legal Compliance