Most Requested Presentations
- “FMLA Master Class” – presentations to HR Hero and the Florida Employment Law Letter subscribers, Jacksonville, FL, March 20, 2014, Heathrow, FL, March 14, 2014, Ft. Lauderdale, March 20, 2013 and April 4, 2012, Heathrow, Florida, March 21, 2013 and April 12, 2012, Orange Park, Florida, April 4, 2013 and March 29, 2012.
- “Performance Management, Coaching and Documentation” – presentation to Volusia Manufacturers Association, February 14, 2012 and October 9, 2012.
- “12 Most Common Mistakes Employers Make” – presentation to ADP Major Account Services Clients, Jacksonville, Florida, May 19, 2013, SHRM, Florida Keys Chapter, Key West, Florida, May 9, 2012
- “Eliminating Barriers in Recruitment & Hiring,” “Emerging & Developing ADAAA Law,” “Implementing & Administering ADR Plan & Arbitration Agreements,” and “Enforcing Equal Pay Laws” – presentation to SHRM, Volusia/Flagler Chapter, Daytona Beach, Florida, October 16, 2013
- “Wage & Hour: Keeping it Real” – presentation to 2013 HR Florida Conference and Expo Orlando, Florida, August 21, 2013
- “ADAAA: What is Not Protected” – presentation to 2013 HR Florida Conference and Expo Orlando, Florida, August 20, 2013
- “How Could the 2012 Presidential Election Impact Our Local Economy and Construction Jobs Generally?” – presentation to Associated Builders & Contractors Membership Luncheon Meeting, Moderator, Panel Discussion, Jacksonville, Florida September 28, 2012
- “Why a Policy Manual or Employment Agreements?” – presentation to Associated Builders & Contractors, Human Resources Council Jacksonville, Florida, June 8, 2012
- “How to Control Unemployment Comp Costs” – presentation to Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association, Jacksonville, Florida March 20, 2012
- “Professionalism in Litigation and Mediation” – presentation to Florida Coastal Law School, Jacksonville, Florida March 1, 2012
- “Social Networking Sites: Law and Policy” – presentation to Jacksonville Bar Association. Labor & Employment Law Section, Jacksonville, Florida, November 15, 2011.
- “New IRS Settlement Program for Worker Misclassification” – presentation to Law Seminars International Telebriefing National Broadcast, November 1, 2011.
- “Social Media: New Rights and Responsibilities for Employers and Employees”, – presentation to HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, Florida, November 1, 2011.
- “What HR Wants Its Supervisors To Know – An Interactive Workshop” – presentation to Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, Florida, June 11, 2011.
- “HR Manager Liability and Recent Developments in Employment Laws” – presentation to Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, Florida, June 8, 2010.
- “Supervisor Essentials” – presentation to Medical Managers of Northeast Florida Lunch ‘n Learn, Jacksonville, Florida, April 28, 2010.
- “Preventing Workplace Violence” – presentation to American Society of Safety Engineers, North Florida Chapter, Jacksonville, Florida, April 21, 2010.
- “Workplace Investigations – How To Do It Right”, HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, Florida, April 20, 2010.
- “What To Do When The EEOC Charge Arrives” – presentation to HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, Florida, November 10, 2009.
- “HR Boot Camp” – presentation to Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, Florida November 3, 2009.
- “Wage & Hour Master Class” – presentation to HR Hero and the Florida Employment Law Letter subscribers Orlando, Florida, October 28, 2008
Social Media in Employment, Action News CBS Channel 47 and Fox Channel 30
Media Interview on Behalf of Client, Trey Clark
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers,” by Super Lawyers magazine
- The Certified in Florida Public Sector Labor Relations by The Florida Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor and Employment Law
- Super Lawyers magazine “Florida Super Lawyers” and “Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition”
- Florida Trend magazine, “Legal Elite”
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Chad Sorenson, SHRM-SCP, SPHR, is the President and founder of Adaptive HR Solutions, LLC and has over 20 years of diverse business, communications and human resource experience.
He works with companies that range from 5 to 1,200 employees and focuses on leadership development, manager training, employee performance management and employer compliance in industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, construction trades, and professional services organizations. Prior to founding Adaptive HR Solutions in 2008, Chad has been Vice President, Director and Manager of Human Resources for several companies in the Jacksonville area.
Some of Chad’s work includes providing regular leadership development curriculum and training for businesses, developing performance management programs, workplace investigations, writing employee handbooks as well as company policies and procedures, setting up HR departments for growing companies, employee communications consulting, FMLA and employee relations guidance and supervisor training.
He is certified as a SHRM-Senior Certified Professional and a Senior Professional in Human Resources.
Chad serves on the Executive Committee for the HR Florida State Council as the Treasurer, which represents over 14,000 HR professional statewide. He is also the Immediate Past President of SHRM Jacksonville having served as President for 2015 and 2016. Chad regularly speaks to HR organizations, business associations, and companies across the state and around the region on topics such as leadership development, employee engagement, small business HR needs, and other HR and business-related topics.
Doug Wilder, the President and founder of Wilder Business Success, Inc., works with CEO’s Managers and HR Directors who are receiving complaints about a high-performing executive who has become high-maintenance or just drifting. For the 170 + executives, employees, and partners Doug’s been asked to coach and groom for long-term success, 88% were ultimately coachable because they grabbed hold of Doug’s Lifeline for Leaders, stayed with the Company, and returned to being the highly productive contributors they once had been. A win-win for all involved!
The fastest growing segment of Doug’s business has resulted from his early-on appreciation for the magnitude and power of the #Me-Too (and similar) movements. This is because, even though an employer may handle and internal sexual or other type of harassment complaint precisely by the book, the old book never had a chapter about how relationships were and remain damaged after the specific harassment has been removed.
Here, Doug typically enters the tumult after the investigation has been conducted and disciplinary action taken, and then works with those employees who were involved. both directly and indirectly, with the harassment situation in order to help restore trust, feelings of safety and collegial team work. This new and now essential chapter of post-conflict workplace repair and return to wellness has been sorely neglected and, without the proper attention to the affected employee relationships, can make an disharmonious situation entirely poisonous throughout a department or company.
In Doug’s 24 years of coaching, he has gained a well deserved reputation as being the coach’s coach. Doug formed the First Coast Coaches Association, now called Coach Jacksonville, an association of business, executive, and life coaches where Jacksonville’s experienced coaches mentor those entering the world of coaching.
Robert Perry, Jr.
Robert received his accounting degree in 1982 . His experience as an accountant included public accounting and as Comptroller of a Credit Union. Perry became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in 1984 and has maintained his licensure in same ever since.
Perry joined the U.S. Navy in 1984. He transitioned into the Navy Reserve in 1989 and started law school. His military career and spans over 30 years and includes two major squadron commands, four unit commands and a post-command major command deputy tour. He was recalled to active duty three times, and achieved the paygrade of Navy Captain (O-6).
After graduating from law school in 1992, Perry worked in private practice in two law firms with a emphasis in business law, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights. In both firms, He handled every aspect of the case management through litigation and post-trial work. His CPA background helped significantly in this practice area.
In 2005, Perry transitioned to in-house counsel at Fidelity National Title Group. In addition, he has worked as Managing Counsel for the Recoupment Department, Claims Counsel for the Defalcation Claim Team, Claims Counsel for the Great Lakes Claim Team, and Manager of the Jacksonville Claim Center Third Party Contribution Program.
Caroline Havens is the Marketing Assistant for Gerlach Employment Law. Her background in marketing, graphic design, and writing make her an asset to the team.
Caroline graduated from Flagler College in St. Augustine with a degree in English Literature, providing her with a foundation of language, writing, and proofing skills that have been an asset in every position she has worked.
As the Social Media Coordinator for Eagle American Insurance, Caroline discovered a talent for marketing and graphic design. In this position Caroline scheduled, designed, and wrote all the social media content for 8 offices in Florida from Jacksonville to Key West—growing their audience by over 500%.
Developing her skills in marketing and graphic design, Caroline went to work for Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty. As part of the marketing team, she expanded her skillset beyond social media to print and digital marketing, as well as photo editing and web design.
Caroline’s career background has molded her into a well-rounded Marketing Specialist and Graphic Designer. She is proud to be part of the team at Gerlach Employment Law and excited to grow with the business.
Staff Accountant/Office Manager
Maria Hickman – Received her bachelor’s degree in accounting and business administration from Albertus Magnus College.
For many years Maria performed as the Staff Accountant and Property Manager for a local Connecticut law firm and property real estate company. She also managed a bouquet room where she hosted many business and local events.
She relocated to Jacksonville and has since brought her strong business background to the GEL team.