Mr. Gerlach has litigated labor and employment law disputes since 1991. He has successfully defended a broad range of employers in both the federal and state courts. Mr. Gerlach concentrates his practice in the trial and arbitration of discrimination and sexual harassment claims, COBRA claims, contract and tort disputes, non-competition issues, and wage and hour matters. He has successfully litigated in Florida, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Georgia, South Carolina, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Colorado.
Mr. Gerlach also regularly advises small, medium and large employers around the United States on day-to-day employee discipline, discharge and compensation issues and on implementing “HR Best Practices.” Mr. Gerlach also implements and administers employee mandatory arbitration contracts and company alternative dispute resolution programs.
Prior to forming Gerlach Employment Law, Mr. Gerlach practiced with Bruckner & Sykes, LLP, in Houston, Texas. When he re-located to Jacksonville, Florida, he formed Harper Gerlach, PL and later practiced with Ford Harrison, LLC.
Most Requested Presentations
- “Post-COVID: Employer Risks & Challenges”
- Employer Advocacy Group, Jacksonville, FL: July 29, 2020
- “FMLA Master Class”
- Courtyard Marriott Miami Downtown, Miami, FL: February 25, 2020
- Hilton Garden Inn Orlando, Int’l Airport, Orlando, FL: April 10, 2019
- Hilton Garden Inn Orlando, Int’l Airport, Orlando, FL: April 10, 2018
- AAA National Office, Heathrow, FL: April 5, 2017
- Indigo Hotel, Jacksonville, FL: March 15, 2017
- Rosen Plaza, Orlando, FL: March 22, 2016
- Sheraton Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL: March 24, 2015
- AAA National Office, Heathrow, FL: March 13, 2014
- HR Hero and the Florida Employment Law Letter subscribers, Jacksonville, FL: March 20, 2014
- Heathrow, FL: March 14, 2014,
- Ft. Lauderdale: March 20, 2013 and April 4, 2012
- Heathrow, Florida: March 21, 2013 and April 12, 2012
- Orange Park, Florida: April 4, 2013 and March 29, 2012
- “Wage & Hour Master Class”
- Courtyard Mariott Miami Downtown, Miami, FL: February 26, 2020
- Hilton Garden Inn Orlando Int’l Airport, Orlando, FL: October 16, 2019
- HR Hero and the Florida Employment Law Letter subscribers Orlando, Florida: October 28, 2008
- “Performance Management, Coaching and Documentation”
- Employer Advocacy Group, Jacksonville, FL: September 11, 2019
- Volusia Manufacturers Association: February 14, 2012 and October 9, 2012
- “Hiring During Historically Low Unemployment”
- Nassau County Economic Development Board, Yulee, FL: September 10, 2019
- Employer Advocacy Group, Jacksonville, FL: April 26, 2019
- “12 Most Common Mistakes Employers Make”
- SHRM Jax Annual Supervisor Training, Jacksonville, FL: October 6, 2017
- ADP Major Account Services Clients, Jacksonville, FL: May 19, 2013
- SHRM, Florida Keys Chapter, Key West, FL: May 9, 2012
- “Eliminating Barriers in Recruitment & Hiring,” “Emerging & Developing ADAAA Law,” “Implementing & Administering ADR Plan & Arbitration Agreements,” and “Enforcing Equal Pay Laws”
- SHRM, Volusia/Flagler Chapter, Daytona Beach, FL: October 16, 2013
- “Wage & Hour: Keeping it Real”
- 2013 HR Florida Conference and Expo Orlando, FL: August 21, 2013
- “ADAAA: What is Not Protected”
- 2013 HR Florida Conference and Expo Orlando, FL: August 20, 2013
- “How Could the 2012 Presidential Election Impact Our Local Economy and Construction Jobs Generally?”
- Associated Builders & Contractors Membership Luncheon Meeting, Moderator, Panel Discussion, Jacksonville, FL: September 28, 2012
- “Why a Policy Manual or Employment Agreements?”
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Human Resources Council Jacksonville, FL: June 8, 2012
- “How to Control Unemployment Comp Costs”
- Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association, Jacksonville, FL: March 20, 2012
- “Professionalism in Litigation and Mediation”
- Florida Coastal Law School, Jacksonville, FL: March 1, 2012
- “Social Networking Sites: Law and Policy”
- Jacksonville Bar Association. Labor & Employment Law Section, Jacksonville, FL: November 15, 2011
- “New IRS Settlement Program for Worker Misclassification”
- Law Seminars International Telebriefing National Broadcast: November 1, 2011.
- “Social Media: New Rights and Responsibilities for Employers and Employees”
- HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, FL: November 1, 2011
- “What HR Wants Its Supervisors To Know – An Interactive Workshop”
- Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, FL: June 11, 2011
- “HR Manager Liability and Recent Developments in Employment Laws”
- Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, FL: June 8, 2010.
- “Supervisor Essentials”
- Medical Managers of Northeast Florida Lunch ‘n Learn, Jacksonville, FL: April 28, 2010
- “Preventing Workplace Violence”
- Employers Advocacy Group, Jacksonville, FL: September 10, 2018
- American Society of Safety Engineers, North Florida Chapter, Jacksonville, FL: April 21, 2010
- “Workplace Investigations – How To Do It Right”
- HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, FL: April 20, 2010
- “What To Do When The EEOC Charge Arrives”
- HR Challenges Workshop, Compass Consulting Group, Jacksonville, FL: November 10, 2009
- “HR Boot Camp”
- Volusia Manufacturers Association, Human Resources Division, Daytona Beach, FL: November 3, 2009
Social Media in Employment, Action News CBS Channel 47 and Fox Channel 30
Media Interview on Behalf of Client, Trey Clark
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers,” by Super Lawyers magazine
- The Certified in Florida Public Sector Labor Relations by The Florida Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America – Labor and Employment Law
- Super Lawyers magazine “Florida Super Lawyers” and “Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition”
- Florida Trend magazine, “Legal Elite”
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Chad Sorenson is the President and Founder of Adaptive HR Solutions and has over 25 years of diverse business, communications and human resource experience.
He works with companies across the state that range from 5 to 1,200 employees and focuses on leadership development, manager training, employee performance management and employer compliance in industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, construction trades, and professional services organizations. Prior to founding Adaptive HR Solutions in 2008, Chad has been Vice President, Director and Manager of Human Resources for several companies in the Jacksonville area.
He is certified as a SHRM-Senior Certified Professional and a Senior Professional in Human Resources. Chad serves the 2020 President Elect for the HR Florida State Council. He was also the President of SHRM Jacksonville in 2015 and 2016. Chad regularly speaks to other SHRM Chapters, business associations, and companies across the state on topics such as leadership development and employee engagement.
In addition to giving back to the HR field, Chad is actively involved in his church and has been a volunteer leader with Boy Scouts for over 10 years. He is an Eagle Scout and a graduate of Morningside College in Sioux City, Iowa. The keys to his success are Devotion to God, Dedication to Family, Continuous Service, Lifetime Learning, and Always Remembering to Laugh.
He is certified as a SHRM-Senior Certified Professional and a Senior Professional in Human Resources.
Chad serves on the Executive Committee for the HR Florida State Council as the Treasurer, which represents over 14,000 HR professional statewide. He is also the Immediate Past President of SHRM Jacksonville having served as President for 2015 and 2016. Chad regularly speaks to HR organizations, business associations, and companies across the state and around the region on topics such as leadership development, employee engagement, small business HR needs, and other HR and business-related topics.
Doug Wilder, the President and founder of Wilder Business Success, Inc., works with CEO’s Managers and HR Directors who are receiving complaints about a high-performing executive who has become high-maintenance or just drifting. For the 170 + executives, employees, and partners Doug’s been asked to coach and groom for long-term success, 88% were ultimately coachable because they grabbed hold of Doug’s Lifeline for Leaders, stayed with the Company, and returned to being the highly productive contributors they once had been. A win-win for all involved!
The fastest growing segment of Doug’s business has resulted from his early-on appreciation for the magnitude and power of the #Me-Too (and similar) movements. This is because, even though an employer may handle and internal sexual or other type of harassment complaint precisely by the book, the old book never had a chapter about how relationships were and remain damaged after the specific harassment has been removed.
Here, Doug typically enters the tumult after the investigation has been conducted and disciplinary action taken, and then works with those employees who were involved. both directly and indirectly, with the harassment situation in order to help restore trust, feelings of safety and collegial team work. This new and now essential chapter of post-conflict workplace repair and return to wellness has been sorely neglected and, without the proper attention to the affected employee relationships, can make an disharmonious situation entirely poisonous throughout a department or company.
In Doug’s 24 years of coaching, he has gained a well deserved reputation as being the coach’s coach. Doug formed the First Coast Coaches Association, now called Coach Jacksonville, an association of business, executive, and life coaches where Jacksonville’s experienced coaches mentor those entering the world of coaching.
Robert Perry, Jr.
Robert received his accounting degree in 1982 . His experience as an accountant included public accounting and as Comptroller of a Credit Union. Perry became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in 1984 and has maintained his licensure in same ever since.
Perry joined the U.S. Navy in 1984. He transitioned into the Navy Reserve in 1989 and started law school. His military career and spans over 30 years and includes two major squadron commands, four unit commands and a post-command major command deputy tour. He was recalled to active duty three times, and achieved the paygrade of Navy Captain (O-6).
After graduating from law school in 1992, Perry worked in private practice in two law firms with a emphasis in business law, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights. In both firms, He handled every aspect of the case management through litigation and post-trial work. His CPA background helped significantly in this practice area.
In 2005, Perry transitioned to in-house counsel at Fidelity National Title Group. In addition, he has worked as Managing Counsel for the Recoupment Department, Claims Counsel for the Defalcation Claim Team, Claims Counsel for the Great Lakes Claim Team, and Manager of the Jacksonville Claim Center Third Party Contribution Program.
Staff Accountant/Office Manager
Maria Hickman – Received her bachelor’s degree in accounting and business administration from Albertus Magnus College.
For many years Maria performed as the Staff Accountant and Property Manager for a local Connecticut law firm and property real estate company. She also managed a bouquet room where she hosted many business and local events.
She relocated to Jacksonville and has since brought her strong business background to the GEL team.
Director of Marketing
Caroline Havens is the Director of Marketing for Gerlach Employment Law. Her background in marketing, graphic design, and writing make her an asset to the team.
Caroline graduated from Flagler College in St. Augustine with a degree in English Literature, providing her with a foundation of language, writing, and proofing skills that have been an asset in every position she has worked.
As the Social Media Coordinator for Eagle American Insurance, Caroline discovered a talent for marketing and graphic design. In this position Caroline scheduled, designed, and wrote all the social media content for 8 offices in Florida from Jacksonville to Key West—growing their audience by over 500%.
Developing her skills in marketing and graphic design, Caroline went to work for Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty. As part of the marketing team, she expanded her skillset beyond social media to print and digital marketing, as well as photo editing and web design.
Caroline’s career background has molded her into a well-rounded Marketing Specialist and Graphic Designer. She is proud to be part of the team at Gerlach Employment Law and excited to grow with the business.
As a business leader, you are responsible for driving results in your organization through your people. While obstacles like tight deadlines and budgets, changing market conditions, or even pandemics may be outside of your control, the one thing you can manage is your people. We teach you how to assemble your own Dream Teams!
Business Results teaches leaders how to coach teams to their peak performance, so you put on your game face and solve problems as they arise. Learn how to transform any team into a high-functioning team in just 90 minutes!
Every individual contributor brings their own set of unique talents, behavioral and cognitive abilities, skills, and competencies to your team. The key to cultivating a team that runs on all cylinders is to determine the unique strengths of your people, understand how these motivations can strengthen or undermine the team, and identify how to best align the individual contributors with the team’s objectives.
Sean Mulholland has formed a relationship with Gerlach Employment Law as part of the Employers Advocacy Group. Sean Mulholland is the President of Mulholland Investigation and Security Consulting Inc. His firm was established in 1996 and conducts a wide array of investigations and security assessments.
Sean is a retired New York City Police Sergeant and maintains close liaison with former law enforcement colleagues and all of the local law enforcement agencies. He earned a Masters Degree from John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. Sean also holds a designation as a Certified Protection Professional. He served as the Security Consultant to both the Jacksonville International Airport and JAXPORT after the September 11th terrorist attacks.
Sean is married to the former Beverly Cooksey, has two grown children and three grandsons. He is an avid sports fan, with his true passion being coaching youth basketball.